Ipswich Libraries offers two types of membership:
- Online membership allows you to place a reservation in the online catalogue, and to use our digital services, including downloading e-books, audiobooks, music, as well as accessing our members-only databases. You cannot borrow physical items until you convert to a full membership, but this can be done at any time.
- Full membership allows you to do all of the above, plus borrow physical items from any Ipswich Libraries service point.
- Complete the Online Membership form OR
- Visit any Ipswich Libraries service point & complete a Membership Application form.
If you select a Full Membership, you will need to present proof of identity to receive your membership card. (Driver’s licence, health care card, pension card or rates notice, which shows your name & current address.) Full Membership for under 18 years requires the contact details and signature of a parent or guardian.
Membership is free to residents of Ipswich, surrounding Shires and Brisbane City.
How many items can I borrow?
You can have a maximum of 20 items on your library card.
How long can I borrow the books, CDs etc?
You can borrow most items for 4 weeks and you may be able to extend your loan for another 2 weeks on request. DVDs have a 2 week loan period, and you may be able to extend your loan for another 1 week on request. Items may be renewed twice, unless a reservation has been placed on the item.
What do I need to know about overdue library items?
Please be aware of the following conditions when borrowing from Ipswich Libraries:
- Overdue notices are sent as a courtesy reminder for your convenience. Please return or renew items if you receive a reminder.
- We do not charge fines, but long overdue items will receive an invoice for the cost of the outstanding items plus a $5.00 administration fee. Membership privileges are suspended if you have long overdue items and outstanding charges.
You will receive the following notices if your items become overdue:
- An Overdue Notice will be sent immediately after the due date alerting you to overdue items.
- A Final Notice will be sent when the items have been overdue more than 2 weeks. If the items are not returned within 1 week of this notice then they will be declared lost.
- A Tax Invoice will be sent when items have been overdue by more than 3 weeks. This notice will indicate the amount payable including the original cost of the item plus a $5.00 administration fee.
How can I keep track of my library loans?
You can receive reminder, overdue, final, and hold notice via email or SMS alerts. Reminders via email & SMS alerts are from Ipswich Libraries.
Keeping your library membership card safe.
Remember that you are responsible for all items borrowed on your library card so it’s important that you keep your card safe and secure and not allow anyone to use it without your permission. Please make sure you report a lost card as soon as possible so it can be disabled.
Items renewed online can be renewed up to 7 days after the due date. You will not be able to renew items which have a reservation on them. Items are renewed for a 2 week period (except DVDs which are renewed for 1 week). Items may be renewed twice, unless a reservation has been placed on the item.
How do I renew items?
- Renew items yourself via our online catalogue
- Visit our online catalogue
- Enter your membership number (number beginning with X on the back of your membership card) and password.
- Click on the “My Account” link under your name in the top right of the screen.
- Under the Summary tab click on “Current Loans”.
- Renew selected items by clicking the renew checkbox beside each item(s) then clicking on the “Renew Selected” button. To renew all items, click on the “Renew All” button.
- The new due date will display beside each item.
Reservations for books, CDs etc. can be placed in person, over the phone or online.
A maximum of 20 reservations can be in place at any one time.
What if the library doesn’t have the title I’m looking for?
You can use the Suggest a Purchase Form to request that an item be purchased.
How do I access My Account:
- Visit our online catalogue.
- Enter your membership number (number beginning with X on the back of your membership card) and password in the login form in the top right side of the page.
- Click on My Account under your name on the top right side of the page.
Suggest a Purchase
The Library Service has a range of venues for use/hire. Please see below for details and instructions on how to book them.
Barry Jones Auditorium
This modern 110 seat auditorium is situated on the Ground floor of the Ipswich Global Information Centre, South Street. If you are a library member use of this Auditorium is free-of-charge. Evidence of membership is required at the time of booking.
|Per Hour||Per Half Day (2-4 hours)||Per Day (4-8 hours)|
Electronic presentation equipment is available on site. Fees may apply. Please phone (07) 3810-6768 to enquire or book.
Two Study Rooms are available on Level 1 of the Ipswich Global Information Centre, South Street. Please phone (07) 3810-6768 for seating capacity and bookings. If you are a library member use of this Auditorium is free-of-charge. Evidence of membership is required at the time of booking.
|Per Hour||Per Half Day (2-4 hours)||Per Day (4-8 hours)|
A Training Room with 8 PCs and Internet access is available on Level 2 of the Ipswich Global Information Centre, South Street. A range of applications are available including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), Internet Explorer, and Firefox.
|Room hire||Per Hour (or part thereof)|
|Monday to Friday between 9am – 5pm||$80|
|Saturday or Sunday between 9am – 12pm||$100|
Please phone either (07) 3810-7155 or (07) 3810-6174 for enquiries and bookings.